- What are Metrology Tools and Equipment?: Metrology tools are critical to the development of reliable devices that have a demand for high performance.
- Metrology can help to make sure that designs can be implemented. It can determine whether there are new processes that can be developed to enhance an existing design.
- Metrology can even help to monitor high levels of production during the manufacturing process to make sure errors are reduced to a minimum.
- To properly implement a metrology strategy, a proper handling of the dimensional instruments that make metrology possible must be implemented as well.
- If these instruments are not properly handled, then the measurements made will not be accurate.
- This will skew the metrics of what is being measured, which will then create inaccurate information, outcomes, and prevent a maximized result.
How do you properly handle dimensional instruments?
- Dimensional instruments help with the measurement process of woodworking or metalworking. To be properly handled, therefore, each instrument must be able to retain its accuracy so that measurements can be as accurate as possible.
- For some dimensional instruments, such as a tape measure, handling the tool is simple as it measures from Point A to Point B. For other instruments, however, such as a relascope, they must be handled in a specific way so that an accurate measurement can be made.
- Storage of these instruments also varies in regards to level of complicated measurements that the instrument is able to give.
- A tape measure, for example, must simply be retracted without bending the measurement tape and then stored in its receptacle, often on a shelf.
- A micrometer, however, must be stored in such a way that the calipers cannot be modified or damaged in any sort of way.
How are dimensional instruments specifically used?
Some dimensional instruments are for general use and can be used in virtually every woodworking or metalworking application. They simply measure basic components and require no specificity. Other instruments are designed with a specific purpose in mind:
- The relascope is utilized to specifically measure the height of trees, while
- The micrometer is utilized to measure very small distances, such as what would be found in a microscope.